Many responsibilities come along with the job of running a business. Every day, business owners are confronted with a variety of issues and challenges, and if the business owner lacks confidence, not only will those issues and challenges go unresolved, but also the business will not grow and thrive.
According to Thomas Edwards, founder of executive coaching firm Confidence Unchained, confidence is an emotion which can be triggered and groomed, just like happiness, sadness or even anger. In this Entrepreneur.com article, he states that in order to push through challenges and achieve a high level of confidence, you need to do five things.
1. Plan ahead while leaving room for spontaneity – While it is important to plan for both the short-term and the long-term, if you leave room for the unknown and be spontaneous at times, you’ll keep the door open for new possibilities that might be a perfect match for your business.
2. Listen before you speak – Engage in active listening, which will enable you to connect and relate to the person with whom you are having a conversation. To do this, ask open-ended questions, and really listen to the answers. You’ll get bits of information – or nuggets – that will allow you to connect with that person on a meaningful level.
3. Pay attention to appearance – It’s true; you don’t have a second chance to make a first impression, and it’s pivotal to your confidence to look good. You never know who you might run into, and even if you run into no one, it’s essential that you don’t look like a mess.
4. Exercise – Devote time every day, whether it’s 10 minutes or a full hour – to exercising your body. It can help with yoru posture, your self-esteem and even your decision-making process. What’s more, making and reaching fitness goals can give you a tremendous feeling of accomplishment, a feeling that can easily transfer to other areas of your life.
5. Smile – The easiest thing you can do for your confidence level is to smile. Even in the most strenuous of times, you can put yourself – and others around you – at ease simply by smiling.
Do you agree with these 5 steps?
We hope you enjoyed reading this post. Please let us know how we can help you buy a business or sell your business. All inquires are held in the strictest confidence. Call the Gibbs Group 612-467-9673
Sign Up for our monthly email newsletter
[contact-form-7 id=”213″ title=”Newsletter”]